If you are experiencing any symptoms of dry eye on a daily basis, our team at Engle Eyewear in Wilkes Barre, PA, can provide treatment to help relief any irritation or discomfort. Before you visit us, read about some ways that you can prevent dry eye below:
What Is Dry Eye?
Dry eye is a condition that typically occurs when there are not enough quality tears being produced to keep your eyes lubricated. Quality tears all include oil, water, and mucus, and each of which plays an essential role. In most cases, those with dry eyes do not produce enough of one or more of these components. However, some people may simply not produce enough tears in general. This can be due to age, damaged tear glands, allergies, or diseases like diabetes.
Steps to Prevent Dry Eye
While dry eye syndrome is not always avoidable, there are some preventative eye care steps you can take to reduce the chances of developing it. Some of these include:
- Use sunglasses: Not only can a pair of sunglasses reduce how the sun affects your
- overall eye health, they can also block the wind and help protect you from debris and allergens
- Avoid smoky areas: Smoke can quickly dry out the eyes, so it’s important to stay away and limit your exposure
- Don’t sit directly in an airway: It can be tempting to sit right in front of a fan or air conditioner when you’re hot, but that air can dry your eyes quickly
- Consider a humidifier: Adding moisture to your environment can prevent tears from evaporating quickly and eliminate other symptoms, such as irritation
- Maintain a normal blink rate: Whether you work on a computer or enjoy scrolling through your phone throughout the day, blinking often can help to spread moisture through your eyes and keep them lubricated
- Visit our optometrist: Regular eye exams can prevent dry eye symptoms and help determine what is causing the condition. Exams also help to provide the correct treatment and prevents the condition from worsening
Schedule an Eye Exam Today
If you are experiencing any symptoms of dry eye, our team at Engle Eyewear in Wilkes Barre, PA, is ready to help. Contact us at today to learn more about the treatments that we offer and to schedule an eye exam. We are dedicated to providing you relief so you can enjoy each day without being hindered!